Knowing where to go when you’re ill or injured makes a big difference. But it can get confusing. So here’s a breakdown of where to get the right care at the right time.
Your primary care provider is your health care home base and should be your first call for any non-immediate issue.
- Routine checkups
- Preventive care and sick visits
- Treatment for non-urgent, long-term health issues managing high blood pressure or diabetes
- Prescribes and manages medications
- Specialist referrals
– Focus on health and well-being
– Coordinates with your specialists
If you can’t see your primary care doctor right away, use a MinuteClinic for minor, common ailments or injuries, such as:
- Minor illnesses, injuries or skin conditions
- Vaccinations or shots
- Health screening and monitoring
- Smoking cessation and weight-loss programs
- Physicals for sports camps, school, DOT, etc.
– Open 7 days a week
– Seen by certified providers
– Sends visit summary to PCP with your permission
– Can prescribe medications
– In-store pharmacies
We partner with MinuteClinic at select Atlanta CVS and Target locations.
If you need care immediately, urgent care can provide similar services to a MinuteClinic, as well as treatments for non-life-threatening illnesses or injuries.
- Suspected broken bones
- Cuts requiring stitches
- Infections, flu and strep throat
– IV drips
– Onsite lab services, X-ray & EKG
– Open 7 days a week most of the year
– Staffed with doctors & other care providers
– Can prescribe medications
We partner with Peachtree Immediate Care providers for easy access to care.
When you have a life-threatening condition, severe pain or injury, go to the emergency room or call 9-1-1.
- Heart attack or stroke
- Difficulty breathing, shortness of breath
- Chest or upper abdominal pain
- Fainting, dizziness, weakness or lack mobility
- Changes in vision
- Confusion or changes in mental status
- Sudden or severe pain
- Uncontrollable bleeding
- Broken bones that break through skin
- Severe or persistent diarrhea or vomiting
- Coughing or vomiting blood
- Suicidal or homicidal feelings
- Head or neck injury
- Suspected concussion
– Open 24/7 all year
– Staffed with emergency medicine experts
– Treats most serious and severe conditions
At Emory Healthcare, we’re here to help you find the care you need when you need it. With more than 2,800 doctors and 300 locations, including 11 hospitals, as well as primary care offices, urgent cares and MinuteClinics, we’re delivering specialized care across the region. Find a doctor near you to schedule your annual screenings and exams.
Know Where to Go
Knowing where to go when you’re ill or injured makes a big difference. But it can get confusing. Know where to go to get the right care at the right time. Your pediatrician or primary care doctor knows your medical history best, but the Emory Healthcare Network also includes Peachtree Immediate Care Urgent Care and CVS MinuteClinics, hundreds of primary care locations and 6 ERs throughout metro Atlanta. Get the care you need wherever you need it. See our map to find the locations closest to you.
Talk to Our Nurses
If you’re not sure if a trip to the ER is needed, call your family doctor or the Emory HealthConnection where registered nurses can help you find a location or specialist that’s right for you. Call 404-778-7777 from 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. EST (M-F).