Over the years, research has shown more convincingly than ever that maintaining a healthy body weight, eating healthful foods and having a regular exercise program can lower your risk of cancer.
We think the Winship Win the Fight 5K is a great way for us to all join together not only in the fight against cancer but also to have fun in a healthy way. It’s not too late to register, so please consider joining us this Saturday at 8 a.m. at McDonough Field on Emory’s campus. You can sign up here. Pre-race day bib pick-up will be available Friday, October 14, from 4 – 8 p.m. in the Woodruff Physical Education Center located on Emory University campus.
Free parking for bib pick-up is available at the Peavine parking deck located at: 29 Eagle Row, Atlanta, GA, 30322. There will be signs to quide you. OR, if you want more time to think about it, you can register at 6:30 Saturday morning onsite.
Here are the top five benefits of running or walking in the Winship Win the Fight 5K!
- Exercise has been shown to lower your cancer risk. It does so by helping your body avoid chronic, systemic inflammation, which wreaks havoc on your cells.
- Exercise has been shown to lower risk of cancer recurrence among those who already have been diagnosed.
- Exercise, in combination with a good diet, can lower your body weight. That in turn can lower levels of circulating insulin, which can fuel cancer growth.
- Exercise lowers levels of stress hormones that may put a person at higher risk of developing cancer.
- RUNNING IN THE 5K IS GOING TO BE FUN! COME JOIN THE FUN AND HELP US WITH THE FIGHT!