The Emory Proton Therapy Center is the only proton therapy center in Georgia and one of 30 in the nation, putting the most advanced radiation tools in the hands of our highly specialized and experienced Winship clinical teams. Proton therapy, a type of radiation treatment delivering radiation with proton particles rather than X-rays (photons), provides many benefits.
- Proton therapy delivers radiation directly to the tumor, decreasing the amount of radiation to healthy and normal tissues. This reduces risks of short-term and long-term side effects with a goal of improved quality of life.
- With potentially fewer side effects, proton therapy may be delivered at higher curative doses to particular cancers or tumors.
- Pediatric patients receiving proton therapy may experience significantly reduced risks of secondary tumors developing, and lowered risks of heart or lung disease, hormone problems, hearing loss, and other side effects.
Which Cancers Are Treated with Proton Therapy?
Proton therapy can be useful in treating many different types of cancer, including:
- Abdominal cancer, including liver cancer and pancreatic cancer
- Bone tumors
- Brain and spine tumors
- Breast cancer, especially left-sided breast cancer and lymph nodes near the heart
- Head and neck cancers, including cancers on the tongue, tonsil, sinus cavity, and larynx
- Pediatric (childhood) cancer
- Pelvic cancer, especially rectal cancer and anal cancer
- Prostate cancer
- Thoracic cancers, including esophageal and lung cancers
Emory Proton Therapy Center
The experienced physicians and specialists at Winship Cancer Institute of Emory University and the Emory Proton Therapy Center will work closely with you to develop the most effective treatment plan with the fewest potential side effects. If you want to learn more about proton therapy and the Emory Proton Therapy Center, visit winshipcancer.emory.edu/proton.
Cancer patients, caregivers, or physicians with a patient needing consultation can schedule by calling 1-833-3PROTON (1-833-377-6866) where an Emory Proton Therapy Center professional will promptly respond to your phone call.