Are you considering LASIK eye surgery? If so, it is important to choose the right surgeon. Ask yourself the following 10 questions to make sure you’ve covered your bases when choosing your LASIK surgeon.
- Who does my regular eye doctor recommend? Ask your eye doctor for a list of the best LASIK surgeons.
- Do I know anyone personally who has received LASIK? If so, ask them who they used for the procedure and if they had a good experience.
- Who is the surgeon? Gain an understanding of the surgeon’s educational background as well as if he or she is board certified and fellowship trained in refractive surgery.
- How successful has the LASIK surgeon been? Ask about the surgeon’s success rate and how he or she handles complications during and/or after the surgery.
- Is the staff professional and friendly? You want to feel comfortable in the surgeon’s office. This means that you feel like the staff is responsive, listens to your concerns, works with your schedule, and maintains a clean facility.
- What equipment do they use? Medical equipment and technology is always evolving. Ask what equipment the surgeon will be using and if it’s the most up-to-date for LASIK.
- Who does the evaluation and postoperative care? Some LASIK surgeons handle all aspects of your surgery, from completing the original preoperative exam/consultation through post-op care. Some centers have other health care providers assisting with the pre-op or post-op care. Be sure you know what to expect at each office you consider.
- How much does the LASIK eye surgery cost? If you have financial concerns, make sure to ask about discounts and payment plans.
- Have I had any previous eye problems? Some eye centers have a LASIK surgeon that specializes in patients with certain eye histories, so be sure to ask if this applies to you.
- Where is the practice located? Make sure that the office is close enough that you are willing and able to drive there multiple times if needed.
I recommend that you keep a spreadsheet with this information. Once you have compiled your list, compare surgeons and facilities to make an educated decision on your LASIK surgeon.
To find out if Emory’s Eye Center is right for your LASIK eye surgery, call (404) 778-2733 and schedule a free consultation.
About Dr. Joung (John) Kim
Joung (John) Y. Kim, MD, serves on the faculty of the Emory Eye Center in the Cornea, External Disease and Refractive Surgery section. His areas of expertise include: refractive surgery, the management of corneal and external eye diseases, cataract surgery, and refractive surgery. He began performing laser refractive surgery in 2000.
Dr. Kim serves on the Ophthalmic Device Committee of the FDA. He served on the Refractive Management/Intervention Self-Assessment team of the AAO from 2004-2006. He serves as a Skills Transfer Course Monitor for AAO. He serves as ophthalmology preceptor for the Ophthalmology Ambulatory Care Rotation at Emory University School of Medicine. In 2009, he visited Peru where he volunteered time as a visiting surgeon through ORBIS, the flying eye hospital.