The Emory Johns Creek Hospital 5K Scrub Run and Community Health Fair continues its tradition of providing free health screenings, a casual environment in which community members can chat with physicians and an opportunity to visit with more than two dozen vendors.
The event is on Saturday, May 17, from 8 to 11 a.m. Registration for the 5K begins at 6:30 a.m. A 100-yard dash for kids 10 & under starts at 9 a.m. All dash participants receive a free doctor’s kit.
Why should you be there?
- It’s free! Get free health screenings, including blood glucose, blood pressure, cholesterol, bone density, body mass index (BMI) and more.
- Learn about health & wellness issues, such as what you need to know about symptoms of a stroke and the beginnings of a heart attack, know when to go to the ER, and the importance of following your doctor’s recommendations for breast and colorectal exams.
- Chat with physicians from the hospital and around the community, including orthopedic and plastic surgeons, oncologists, gastroenterologists, podiatrists, ENT specialists, pediatricians and women’s health specialists.
- Kids both big and small can meet members of the Johns Creek fire and police departments, including the K-9 unit, and do hands-on craft projects with Home Depot representatives. Don’t forget the 100-yard dash for kids 10 & under.
- Cheer on the 5K Scrub Run participants as they cross the finish line. Want to run or walk in the 5K? Register before May 1 and pay only $25. Register May 2 through May 16 and pay only $30. And for the procrastinators in the bunch, you can register the day of the race. The race-day registration fee is $35. Strollers and dogs welcome. Register at emoryjohncreek.com/festival2014. All proceeds from the Scrub Run benefit the Chattahoochee High School Cross Country Team and the Emory Johns Creek Hospital Foundation.
Community Relations Director Bev Miller says the community health festival and 5K event is an important part of the hospital’s outreach effort to give the community greater access to general health and wellness information. “We see events like our health festival and our Ladies Night Out in October to be a really important part of the service we strive to provide to the community, but we also work really hard to make it fun, casual and most importantly, accessible,” she says.
For more information, visit emoryjohnscreek.com/festival2014 or:
For race information, call 678-474-7744.
For festival information, call 678-474-8017.
For sponsorship opportunities, call 678-474-8330.