Remembering Dr. John “Jack” Culbertson

Dr. John Culbertson Jr.It is with great sadness we inform you that Dr. John “Jack” Culbertson passed away when a plane he was piloting went down in North Georgia. Words cannot explain our sadness at this unexpected and tragic loss.

Dr. Culbertson was a remarkable Emory physician for more than 25 years and served as Chief of Plastic Surgery at Emory University Hospital Midtown. He was a member of multiple national societies, contributing to numerous publications and textbooks, and lectured nationally and internationally.

He was a steadfast and giving human being, and, for many years, dedicated his time to provide instruction and perform surgery at Navajo reservations. To quote his partner and friend Dr. Grant Carlson, “We are fortunate to have people like Jack Culbertson in the world. He always reminded us that life is special and should be treated as such. His easygoing demeanor and infectious smile will be missed.”

Please join us in remembering Dr. Culbertson and celebrating his life. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends. He will be deeply missed by his entire Emory family, including faculty, staff and his many patients.

Patients with questions are welcome to call is Melissa Schuermann, Business Manager of the Emory Aesthetic Center at (404) 778-7243.

Tags: , , , ,

11 Responses to “Remembering Dr. John “Jack” Culbertson”

1. Mark J. says:

My sincerest condolences to the family and friends.

2. Kathy O. says:

It was with great sadness today when I learned that Dr. C had passed away. Many of us have fond memories of him, as his patient for many years my heart breaks. When I look in the mirror, I can see his work and I know I am blessed to have had his hands work on my injured face. I send my sympathy to his beloved family.

3. F. W. says:

Dr. Jack, as I called him was such a great doctor. After being diagnosed with breast cancer, he performed five surgeries on me relating to the reconstruction. He helped to restore my self confidence, and help me to feel “normal” again, which is so hard for women after going through treatments and surgery for breast cancer. He was also an avid hockey player here in Atlanta, and we talked so much about our love of the game. He has done so much for so many…and he will be missed. RIP Dr. Jack, and I thank him for what you have done for the breast cancer community, the underserved, and for helping people feel beautiful again. I will miss him.

4. Sianne B. says:

I will miss Dr Culbertson , so much!!!!!!
    I had the pleasure of knowing and working with him for almost 8 years.
    He was a great surgeon, I loved doing surgery with him, he always had a smile for you no matter what type of mood he was in.

And to hear him talk about his rooster and chickens…til the last day he swore that hawk got his rooster( :p)
    He always was saying or doing something funny, he was so proud of his children and loved his wife with all his heart.

He will be truly missed by all that knew him. If you just met him in passing he made an everlasting impression on you.

He touch my life, and I am a better person from knowing him.

Now he is doing what he loved to do, he is flying high now, only now he is flying with his angel wings.

5. Rebecca S. says:

I am a nurse. I not only had the pleasure of taking care of Dr. Culbertson’s patients but he was also was my husband’s surgeon as well. He was a wonderful human being and will be missed.

6. Jeff says:

Fly high Jack! You will be missed but not forgotten. You made a difference in the world and now you have a special place among the angels and God.

7. Margaret M. says:

Prayers for comfort, peace and strength for his family and friends. When I first met him, he exuded compassion and more importantly, hope. His skill as a surgeon, and his positive “let’s get this done” attitude truly changed my life at a time when I needed it most. Thanks to his family who I am sure had to adapt to a doctor’s odd hours. You were an important part of his success. Everyday when I see my scar I will say a prayer of thanks for Dr. Culbertson’s life and a prayer for continued healing for those who loved him.

8. James S. says:

I worked with Dr. Culbertson my entire career. He was a talented and caring surgeon. Jack was a renaissance man and a true gentleman. We both shared a passion for helping people who had no access to healthcare. Jack worked with the Navaho.

I came back from one of my trips abroad and I gave him a Navaho Silver pendant which he immediately recognized and penned onto his Doctors Jacket. He said, “now this is cool.” Jack had a special place in his heart for the Navaho.

He had a caring heart. He was a good and generous man with a heart as big as the sky….but along with all his wonderful qualities, Jack Was Always Cool. We will miss him… See you in the Big Sky Brother!

9. John P. says:

Dr. Culbertson helped me a few years back. May he rest in peace my prayers also go out to his family.

10. Suzan R. says:

Dr. Culbertson (Jack) was a wonderful, funny, kind spirit. He did surgery on both of my hands and his joy for life was very contagous. His eyes would sparkle behind his surgical mask and his kindness was reassuring. This world has lost a very bright light. But I know his work will live on in the people he taught and the family he loved. Rest well Jack. I know the Lord will be saying “well done my good and faithful servant”

11. Kelly M. says:

I am deeply sorry for your loss. God bless you all.