During the hectic holiday season take time to eat a healthy breakfast by preparing these heart healthy No Bake Breakfast Bars. You can find more information on these recipes and other weight management and heart healthy recipes from Emory Healthcare by visiting: http://www.emoryhealthcare.org/healthy-recipes/.
Recipe developed by Meagan Mohammadione, RD, LD, and is courtesy of the Emory Bariatric Center.
No Bake Breakfast Bar Recipe Ingredients
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup crunchy peanut butter (or your favorite nut butter such as almond or cashew butter)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dried cranberries (or your favorite dried fruit, diced)
- 5 cups high fiber cereal (we used Kashi Go Lean! Crisp cereal)
In a large mixing bowl, pour in honey, vanilla and salt. Heat in the microwave until mixture is thin and watery, about 60 seconds. Add peanut butter and stir until it melts. Add dried fruit and cereal and combine until cereal is well coated. Line a baking dish with wax paper and spread cereal mixture evenly into pan and press firmly to set. Leave to cool overnight or place in refrigerator. When bars are hard, cut into squares.
Yield: 24, 2x1x1 inch bars
Nutritional Information Per Serving
- Calories: 167
- Fat: 6 grams
- Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
- Sodium: 179 milligrams
- Total Carbohydrate: 27 grams
- Dietary Fiber: 3.4 grams
- Sugars: 18 grams
- Protein: 5 grams
For other heart healthy recipes, visit Emory Healthcare’s Recipes for Wellness at http://www.emoryhealthcare.org/healthy-recipes/. We have recipes for appetizers, entrees, side dishes, soups and salads as well as desserts to keep your diet heart healthy during the holidays!
- Tips for Eating Better for a Healthier Heart
- Comfort Foods, Substitution is the Name of the Game
- Lower Your Blood Sugar and Protect Your Heart
- Emory Healthcare Recipes for Wellness