Reasons we are not Exercising and Strategies to Overcome all of the Excuses
Weight loss is not an easy task to accomplish. Often times it involves a lifestyle change in which we are forced to change habits we have developed over a lifetime. Many of us have trouble incorporating physical activity into our daily routines and come up with a number of excuses as to why we are not going to do it. It is time to combat these excuses with pre-contemplated strategies so these excuses cannot hold us back.
With that said, these are the top 5 excuses we hear most often for not exercising and tips to help you overcome excuses:
1) I’m Too Tired
- Wake up 30 minutes early and work out. It will increase your energy for the rest the day!
- Choose to do an activity you enjoy instead of “working out.” Garden in the spring or ice-skate in the winter to burn away the calories.
- Start small; exercise will increase your energy. Try going on a 5-minute walk and see how you can progress each day!
2) I Don’t Have Time
- Utilize your lunch break. Walk outside, or try going up and down the stairs for a challenge!
- While watching your favorite TV show, do crunches or push-ups during the commercials!
- Schedule time to exercise in your calendar, phone, etc the same as you would for a meeting or your child’s play date.
3) I’m Too Sore from My Last Work Out
- Exercise a different part of your body. If your legs hurt from walking, focus on your upper body.
- Stretch! This can help to improve flexibility and reduce the tension in your muscles.
4) Exercise is Boring
- Experiment! Try swimming or Zumba — find something you enjoy!
- Bring a book, magazine, or iPod to entertain you while you exercise.
- Bring a friend! Ask someone to join you to chat and the time will fly by.
5) I Hate to Sweat
- Exercise in the pool! Join a water aerobics class or just kick your feet while holding onto the side of the pool.
- Walk indoors! Ladies try a walk around the mall, and men try a sporting good store to workout and cool off.
- Try resistance exercises. Not all exercise makes you sweat. Try this website for some great strength training suggestions!
So now it is time to stop with all of the excuses, and get moving. Incorporate one or all of these strategies into your workout routine to keep you focused and motivated on your long-term goals. It is not always easy, but when you feel the excuses escape your lips, recall these strategies to keep active!
Looking for even more ways to incorporate effective weight management techniques into your daily life? Tomorrow, Meagan Mohammadione, Registered Dietitian from the Emory Bariatric Center, is hosting a free web chat to discuss healthy recipe modification tips to boost the nutrition of your Thanksgiving menu, while lessening the guilt! There’s still time to sign up and join her!